Welcome to ME 410 The Adolescent Learner!

This course examines the intellectual, physical, psychological, social and moral characteristics and needs of the early adolescent/middle school student. It analyzes the middle school concept including the role of the teacher, interdisciplinary planning, advisor-advisee relationships, and curriculum for middle school students. This course is designed to study and experience the various learning styles and patterns of students in middle school/junior high education. The students will experience, first-hand, middle school, self-contained, and junior high education models.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Journal Blog for Week Nov. 8-12, 2010

Post your reflections here, in this blog, of your experiences in your practicum site this second week of November. By posting to this blog, I will have evidence that you were there and I can grade you for the week.
I'm aware that those of you scheduled for Thursday and Friday will not be able to do your hours this week. You will be required to go one extra week at the end.

Also, remember to have your cooperating teacher, or the tutor in charge, sign your timesheet that was in the handbook I gave you. This is required as documentation of hours completed.

2 comments:

  1. I arrived at my field experience on Wednesday, November 10th. Lunch time tutoring was back on track, compared to my previous experience when everyone was testing. The group of 8th graders was so large that they had to be split up. As usual I walked around and helped anyone that needed assistance. Mostly everyone was working on the same English worksheet, where they had to make spelling corrections. So that was a change of pace because usually it is Social Studies or Math people are working on. I then went to Study Hall and everything was pretty routine there, except the last 15 minutes Mrs. Maher let the class play hangman. That was pretty entertaining to watch. The students had fun and even I was able to join in for awhile. I really enjoyed my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simle Hours 20-22:

    Today was an action packed and adventurous day! I started the day out in the morning tutoring area. I was able to work with a young lady on her math homework. After she was finished she had to read a book until the period was over. She initiated a conversation with me to pass the time. I learned that she (Caucasian) was currently living in a group home in Bismarck and that she was originally from Mandan. I asked her questions about how group home life was structured and her likes and dislikes about daily life. She was very open and was not afraid to express her thoughts. She also mentioned that she would someday like to go to college to become a veterinarian. She was a pleasant young lady and we had a great conversation. I thanked her for allowing me to assist her with her work and for the conversation and told her to hang in there and finish school before we were each whisked to our next period.

    I then found myself entering the “battle ground” which is commonly referred today as Study Hall. Duunduunduuunnnn!...LOL What a day it was. Mrs. M had a struggle to keep children on task today. A few of the students were quite defiant and uncooperative. Some also lashed out verbally. Like a true professional, Mrs. M maintained her composure and resolve while redirecting the students to complete a successful class period. All the while, I served as tutor for several students simultaneously throughout the class period. The subjects ranged from algebra, science, history, and language arts. I feel like I was able to be comfortable in the role that I served. I was effective, the students completed work, and they were receptive to me as a teacher. After some thought, I have realized that their cooperation, acceptance, and approval mean very much to me and reinforce my confidence in my abilities to become an effective teacher. Today was a great day!

    ReplyDelete